The Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association and the International Door Association have named June as Garage Door Safety Month. This makes it the perfect time to increase the safety awareness related to garage doors.
Each year, about 30,000 people suffer injuries in garage door-related accidents. Some of these accidents can prove to be fatal and these are highly preventable.
- On average, people open & close their garage doors about 6 times each day, amounting to a considerable movement which can result in a lot of wear and tear and deterioration over time.
- In 1993, the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) required that all automatic garage door systems have an automatic off or reversing system. With external photo-eye entrapment protection installed properly, the overall instances of child entrapment have come down to almost zero.
- Regular maintenance is crucial to the safe and efficient working of your garage door and isn’t something you can afford to overlook or defer.
Garage door safety aspects to focus on
While it’s a good idea to get regular garage door maintenance done by professionals, there are some things you too should focus on, ensuring the safety of your garage door:
- Make sure that door opener systems are out of sight and not accessible to kids. It’s never a good idea to leave the remote lying around where kids can reach and play with it. This could result in some serious accidents.
- Familiarize yourself with the emergency function on your garage door. Read the user manual occasionally so you don’t forget what needs to be done in case of an accident or emergency.
- Inspect your garage door installation every month to check whether there is any deterioration or damage to its components.
- If you notice a problem, call your garage door dealer without delay.
- Each month, check the system’s auto-reverse feature; it should be functional at all times.
- Always keep the door completely closed. This helps prevent injuries and keeps intruders away from your property.
- When going on vacation, unplug the unit completely. Contact your dealer to activate the lock security console feature. This ensures that remote will be blocked for the duration of your absence from home. You can unlock it on your return.
- It’s important to keep handy the contact details of experienced garage door service professionals to contact for regular maintenance and inspection of the feature. Always hire reputed and reliable professionals that will be able to cater to your needs at a reasonable cost.
Contact the experts
We at Omega Garage Doors always encourage customers to focus on garage door safety as much as any other feature or system in their home. We can make sure that your doors are always in peak operational condition.